Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Bio 77

When I first came to the US, I thought how nice of these people it is to show so much kindness when they see you in the streets and the way they greet you and ask how you are doing and so on. Now, I am totally bored by this manner of these so-called world class citizens of the states as it turns out that it is just the same damn routine of their life, void of any meaning. Just like the way I hated it at home when people pass by each other or see each other and ask for news saying what’s up or what’s going on in Farsi, these people also have the same thing and I don’t like it at all. I feel like every time I pass by someone who asks me what is going on or how is it going or what’s up, I want to stop them and explain to them what actually is going on with me! I think that is an appropriate response to what they ask me, and saying “not much” does not satisfy the requirements of the question.

I think if I do this every time I hear someone asks me how is it going, that person wouldn’t dare ask me again as I will take a few minutes of his or her time to answer their question and that’s definitely not what they have in mind when they ask it. Well I understand it is just a greeting convention people use but it just doesn’t make any sense to me to use such greeting when you can say good morning or good evening or anything like that which actually conveys something and makes sense to say it to someone who you barely know. Oh I know I am making a big deal out of this but I can’t help it, it is like a pet peeve I have and I can’t overcome the trouble of letting it go! Oh the damn rhetoric concepts in my mind have always been bothersome, to the extent that sometimes I have felt I am losing the meaning of words and regard them as a bunch of nonsensical sounds expelling from my throat in the shape of letters with no purpose in their essence. I am confused how I like language and its craziness and at the same time I get mad at it when it is being abused.

No comments: